After Care Instructions for Ablative Fractional Laser Resurfacing
- Avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks following the procedure. If you anticipate potential sun exposure, wear a dense broad-rim hat and sunglasses. Sunscreen should not be applied until the skin is not sensitive to touch (usually day 3-5 after the procedure).
- Apply an ice pack or bag of frozen peas to the treatment area for 10-15 minutes every hour for the immediate four hours after the procedure (please wrap a clean soft cloth around the ice pack to prevent direct contact with your skin).
- If provided, please take oral antibiotic or anti-viral medication as directed.
- You may take an oral, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen, if necessary to relieve any discomfort. Use according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Apply vinegar soaks three times a day for five days following the procedure to assist the rejuvenation process. How to make vinegar soak:
- Mix one tablespoon of white vinegar with a pint of cool water
- Soak a clean white towel with the vinegar mixture then apply the wet cloth against the treated skin for 30 seconds. Repeat until all the treatment areas have been cleanse
- Apply healing cream liberally to treatment areas three times a day (Aloe-vera gel, Biafine cream, or Aquaphor healing ointment)
- Bath or shower as usual.
- Avoid the use of exfoliants, mechanical scrubbing, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, facials, shaving, and waxing for two weeks following the procedure.
- Make-up may be used once the skin does not feel sensitive to touch. Use of new make-up is advised to minimize risk of transferring bacteria to the treatment areas.
- Communicate any questions or concerns to Dr. Liu here.